eeeewan.co.uk - Forum

A forum with no posts
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 am 
Nazgul

On the 31st August I am off for about 3 months.
The itinerary is as follows :
31st August - Heathrow - Delhi, India
Arrive in Delhi 11am, one night in Delhi then a 22 day tour that includes the taj mahal, a bird sanctuary and an overnight camel safari with camping under the stars without a tent. Ends in Kolkata (Calcutta) where I then have a night and a day before I fly out at 11:50pm.

24th September - Kolkata - Singapore
Just a quick stopover in Singapore since I can't fly direct to Bangkok. Arrive in Singapore around 6:35am and then I have the day there before a night safari that night, stay the night in Singapore then a city tour at 8:30am the next day before flying that night to Bangkok.

25th September - Singapore - Bangkok
Don't know what my plans are for when I'm in Thailand really, just going to go with the flow. Might go for a trip through Cambodia to Vietnam at some point. Will see what others are doing in the hostel.

18th October - Bangkok - Singapore - Tokyo
No plans for my time in Tokyo either. I'm there for 10 days so I might take a bit of a travel out of Tokyo to somewhere else. Only going to book a few days accomodation in Tokyo in case I decide to do that.

26th October - Tokyo - Auckland (11 hour flight, ugh)
In New Zealand for 14 days. Doing a 9 day bus tour, will either take some time at the start or the beginning or if it goes somewhere I especially like I might spend a night or two extra somewhere, or if some people I'm getting on particularly well with are stopping somewhere I probably will too.

9th November - Auckland - Rarotonga, Cook Islands
This was originally just going to be a short 5 day stop to break up the Auckland-LA flight so it wasn't quite so long, so was just going to be a few days on a tropical island. Then because other flights were changed because I have a bit of extra time in India than originally and a couple others got changed too. So it was a choice between 3 days or 10 days on Rarotonga. The flights from there to LA are only every 7 days. I was originally only going to go for 3 days but then when i saw I could get the hostel (private room even!) for only £14 a night I decided to go for 10 days. I might get a bit bored but really I can't complain about 10 days on a tropical island :D

17th November - Rarotonga - Los Angeles (9½ hours)
Spending one night in a hotel in Hollywood then going to rent a car and drive from LA to San Francisco before driving to Las Vegas and spending a few days there. Someone I know live in California as well so I think I might meet up with them while I'm there. I don't know what the rest of my plans are, should visit the Grand Canyon while I'm near it really. I want to get 5 days in New York at the end but other than that I think I've got about 10 days or so with nothing planned but I should find something no bother.

9th December - New York - Heathrow
Home. Well, not quite. Going to meet up with someone I know that lives near London before making my way back home. Just to round off the trip :)

And those are the plans. Really really looking forward to it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03 pm 
Fool of a Took

And at what point will the ring be destroyed? (Hamish destroyed a lady-boy's ring in Thailand)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:21 am 
Nazgul

Rab wrote:
And at what point will the ring be destroyed? (Hamish destroyed a lady-boy's ring in Thailand)

Lol :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll be going to Mordor at all, I am however going to be in Hobbiton when I'm in New Zealand so I think I might just pop the ring back on Bilbo's mantelpiece and forget about it. It seems like the best plan to me.

Slight change to the itinerary for the trip. Due to issues with the flight I'm no longer stopping over in Rarotonga. I'm not too bothered about this since it wasn't somewhere I had chosen and was just somewhere that was being stopped at to break up the flight from Auckland to LA. However, since I was going to be in Rarotonga for 10 days, I just switched those 10 days to the countries before and after Rarotonga.
So I know have an extra 4 days in New Zealand and an extra 6 days in the USA. This is quite good, give me a bit more time in NZ, can maybe pop over to the south island for a bit. It also makes up my mind about whether to drive from LA to San Francisco by I5 which only takes 6 hours but is apparently boring and has nowehre interesting to stop or the coastal road which has a lot more interesting stuff but is 14 hours solid driving and people recommend taking 3 days or so. So now with the 6 extra days I'll take the coastal road, take my time and stop off along the way.
So overall it works out quite well really. If I decide I want the days on the beach that I'm missing through not being on Rarotona I could just spend my 4 extra days in NZ on the beach even.

Got myself a nice notebook/journal for taking with me. Good amount of pages, about A5 sized, wee date line at the top of each page which will be good. Nice hard cover to it. Only £6 so that wasn't too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:52 pm 
Nazgul

Everything bought (I think) and ready to go!
Fantastic.

Only issue is I don't think I'm going to be able to get the Vietnam visa in time but that's alright. I'll still be in Thailand and will be able to visit Cambodia and possibly Laos.
In less than 4 weeks I shall be in India!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 am 
Fool of a Took

That's not alright. You wont be able to say "I was in 'Nam man. You weren't there man, you weren't there!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:21 am 
Nazgul

We did however nearly end up in a punchup with a Frenchman in a bar after he thought we had insulted his girlfriend.

I don't know if he was just playing the hardman in front of his girlfriend and she was just insane or if he completely misunderstood what was going on as well but it was quite a strange end to the night. I guess to be fair it was half 5 in the morning and we had all been drinking since at least midnight, who knows where they had been before they turned up at the bar we were in.

It all started I suppose when Taamu (the Finnish guy I met on the bus to Chiang Rai) convinced the old British guy that had joined us all in the bar that he should take the guitar, give it a play, and we could all have a jolly old sing-song. Which we did, probably starting around midnight or 1am, sometime around that time. So he was singing away, typical kind of stuff, lyrics that were absolutely outrageous and everyone was having a good time drinking, singing, chatting and trying to get Taamu to apologise for calling 3 other people in the bar boring and telling them to go away.

Around 5:15am or sometime around then the guy with the guitar happened to sing "you're so fat" in amongst everything else he was singing. At this the French girl stood up and said, "That's not funny" and stormed off to the toilet. We kind of assumed that she was joking because, well, if she wasn't then she was quite clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic. But nope, when she came out the toilet she left the bar and her boyfriend followed her.

He then came back in and we tried to explain for about 5minutes that the guy hadn't been calling her fat he was just singing like he had been the rest of the night. Well, this guy was either very drunk, very stupid or just a complete dickhead because he just couldn't understand this despite it not being at all out of tone with the rest of what the guy had been singing. Anyway, he was wanting a fight with the old guy with the guitar; Teemu and I quickly made it clear that if he was wanting a fight with some guy with a guitar who was at least in his 60s he'd have to get through us first.

I honestly thought it was all going to end up with us spilling into the street in a big punchup. Well.... I say a big punchup, not only did the older guy look like he could have handled himself pretty well but we figured the fact it would have been him facing down 3 of us would get him to calm down, or at the very least just fuck off.

It didn't. However the owner manhandled him out the door and shut the barred door. The French guy continued to bitch and whine through the bars of the door for the next 5-10 minutes or so. We started off explaining how it was a misunderstanding, devolved into giving him abuse and finally just ignored him till he left.

We went back to the bar the next night and the first thing the owner said was, "I don't know what was up with that crazy French guy last night. One word! He just sang fat, CRAZY! Sorry about that."
We told him it wasn't his fault, it hadn't ruined the night anyway and settled down for some gin and tonics whilst requesting some Guns and Roses be put on the stereo.
Slightly earlier night that next night but still a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:10 pm 
Fool of a Took

Crazy French people? I had 3 black guys trying to mug me with a broken bottle the other day. I decided handing over all my stuff or fighting 3 black guys were both unacceptable options, so instead I just walked away. They kept kicking me to the ground and trying to kick me in the face, but I blocked everytime and just kept on standing up.

After the same thing maybe 3 or 4 times, I was at the big main road where you can't mug people, and they fucked off. I seriously don't recomend this as a tactic for avoiding muggers though. Was quite lucky not to end up in hospital.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:45 pm 
Nazgul

Fuck man, you should have just legged it! hows your journey from farm to farm asides from that? Better I hope!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:11 am 
Nazgul

Rab wrote:
Crazy French people? I had 3 black guys trying to mug me with a broken bottle the other day. I decided handing over all my stuff or fighting 3 black guys were both unacceptable options, so instead I just walked away. They kept kicking me to the ground and trying to kick me in the face, but I blocked everytime and just kept on standing up.

After the same thing maybe 3 or 4 times, I was at the big main road where you can't mug people, and they fucked off. I seriously don't recomend this as a tactic for avoiding muggers though. Was quite lucky not to end up in hospital.

Right, well this is now in my list of ways to not avoid getting mugged :
"Get kicked repeatedly by a gang of black guys"
Hopefully it will never have to, but it might just come in handy one day.

Have arrived in Tokyo after being on the road (or on the air/hanging around in airports) for..... ~42 hours. Absolutely knackered, cannot be bothered doing anything at alltoday. Tomorrow I shall exploreTokyo.

It's a much nicer temperature here, around about the 18-25 degree mark which is a lovely change. When I first arrived it was about 17 degrees but it's gotten warmer since then. Still not stupidly hot like India and Thailand were though.

Singapore airport terminal 3 is an absolutelyawesome airport. They have a free cinema that constantly shows movies so I watched TheLorax and John Connor which passed a bit of time. They also have a butterfly garden, free wifi, free computers with internet, several TVs with different things showing and comfy chairs at themsoyoucan sit and watch the football or How I Met Your Mother (those are the 2 I remember being on). Then there are the free foot massage chairs and the snooze lounge where they have chairs reclined almost completely horizontal so you can go for a nap. The bits for charging your phone are little lockers which you lockyour phone in so you can leave it charging and not have to worry about it being stolen.

All in all, of all the airports to be stuck in for 9 hours it definitely isn't one of the worst. Kolkata would have been pretty bad, there was literally nothing there - not a great airport, just nothing in it. Though there are some seats so it does beat being stuck at Geneva when even a space to sit on the floor has become coveted by all.

Plans for today?
Do nothing at all.
I would just go to bed but it's only 14:10 so it seems a bit early for that. Will probably wait till 5 or 6, go for some food then just toddle off to bed after that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:34 am 
Nazgul

Well, slight change of plan. Now been chatting with an American guy and his thai exgf since 3ish. We've polished off a bottle of Thai wine, a bottle of sake and are now on the second bottle of sake. They're cooking something or other for us all to eat and we've been joined by a rather hot French girl. Also, I'm going to be so so drink very soon. Good evening so far. So much for my early bed though, its after ten already!