eeeewan.co.uk - Forum

A forum with no posts
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rab's Travels
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am 
Fool of a Took

I'm in Baleal. The hostel is called Paradise Baleal Surf Lodge, and yeah I'm staying in the main hostel (it sleeps about 30 people, they have some other studio apartments). At the moment there's just one other guest, who stays in a van outside, but she's not here most of the time.

Pretty bored, I would leave and go somewhere else, but I really want to practice more surfing, so I'll stay for another 3 weeks or so.

The work I'm doing is maintenace stuff, like concreting, carpentry, painting - that kind of shit. Pretty nice, but it's a shame they want it done over the winter, while no one is here. Still, plenty of time to go to Spain or Germany or where ever to stay in other hostels, and get smashed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:19 pm 
Nazgul

Yeh, that's a bit of a bitch there not really being anyone else at the hostel. Are there not even many other staff at the moment I take it? The hostel I was staying at in San Diego had at least as many staff as guests. It was pretty good, it was an old Victorian townhouse style house, so we just hung around in the dining room/kitchen/Ron Burgundy lounge and bantered away, guests and staff alike.

The hostel I was at in Bangkok I was more or less the only guests there. There was an Arab group but I only ever saw them for an hour or so in the evening in the hostel lounge and they kept mainly to themselves as they were a group of 6 or so. I was chatting to them one evening but they were there more on a holiday as a group than to meet people. I had a 6 bed dorm to myself in that hostel but there were the odd people would arrive and stay for a night so I had some good banter with people in the lounge when they arrived. Overall though it was really quiet, it was the quiet season in Thailand which had something to do with it but there were always just enough people around to meet someone.
Well, not so much in Bangkok but everywhere else I was.

Is it board and food you get provided and just no actual cash pay? Or is it just board and you have to pay for your own food?

The problem with travelling was you never really knew what a hostel was going to be like until you got there. It could get absolutely awesome reviews but the people staying there when you're there might all be really unsociable and keeping to themselves. Or it might be somewhere that has awful reviews but when you get there it's filled with fun and friendly people you immediately click with and the staff are absolutely awesome as well.

It was why when I went to a new place I tended to only book 1/2 nights so that if I wanted to go somewhere else I hadn't booked myself into somewhere I no longer wanted to be but if I did end up wanting to stay longer (like the place in San Francisco) I could just book however many more nights I wanted, especially since it wasn't hoachingly busy anywhere I went.

Places I stayed longer than planned :
With the couple I know in Memphis - we got on so well.
At the bungalows across from the beach in Ao Nang - met 3 French people who were staying a bit longer than I had been going to so I stayed since we were getting on, also the beach just across the road and everything it was like a little paradise there.
San Francisco hostel - Loads of other guests who all seemed to become my friends instantly, friendly staff, nice city, really social hostel which just had a really good feel to it

Places I would have stayed longer :
San Diego - staff and other guests all got along really well, really good feel to the hostel. Lovely city. Had a rental car at the time though so every day was costing me $50 or something extra for the car so I had to leave when planned so I could fit in Vegas before having to take the car back. Had I flown to San Diego I wouldnt have been as rushed and would probably have stayed an extra day or two - looking back on it I'm glad I didn't because it would have meant less time in either San Francisco, Memphis or New York and I wouldn't have wanted less time in any of those places. I suppose a day swapped from SF to SD or even 2 would have been OK, I did spend quite a lot of time in SF but that's not a bad thing since I was really enjoying my time there. Memphis I wouldn't have wanted to cut down on because it was nice meeting and staying with the two of them there, in fact....
Memphis - Got on so well with the couple I was staying with, it was lovely. I would have gladly stayed another week though I don't know how they would have felt about it :D
Many places in India - We were on a tour so obviously it wasn't possible but; Jaisalmer and Varanasi in particular I would have happily spent weeks in. Udaipur and Pushkar as well to a lesser extent.
Ao Nang - Even though I stayed longer than planned I would have happily stayed longer. I'm glad I didn't because it gave me just the right amount of time in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai but I could have happily stayed down at that little bungalow right across from the beach for another week. I wish I'd had less time in Bangkok and either done that or spent the time in another part of Thailand. Could have happily spent the whole 2 weeks after I left Bangkok here but it was good to do some travelling round the country since that was part of why i was away. The good old 23 hours on buses with only a 3 hour wait at a bus station in the middle was a bit of a nightmare though :D

Places I should have spent less time :
Bangkok - This is probably the only place that falls under this category actually. I was in Bangkok for a whole week, it should have been maybe 3 or 4 days. Most of the sightseeing you really want to do in Bangkok can easily be done in 2 days, one day if you really pushed it and rushed round the grand palace and things but I'd say 2 days. Plus a day to get your bearings in the city to start with, and a rest day when first arriving. 4 would definitely have been a much better length of time to stay in Bangkok and to anyone going I would recommend 4 days as the absolute maximum unless they have a particular reason for wanting to stay in Bangkok for longer. It was good in a way though because it meant I could take my Bangkok sightseeing really easy, got to know the city a bit, just a few days to not really do any proper sightseeing but to wander round the city, tasting food, cold drinks, exploring the streets and watching the people. Wasn't all bad but if I was giving pre-trip me advice using some kind of time machine it would be to have less time in Bangkok.
Tokyo - But only because it would have been nice to see more of other parts of Japan than just Lake Achii and surrounding areas on the one day I went outside of Tokyo. So I suppose it's really more of a "more time in Japan" than "less time in Tokyo" really I'd say that the 6(?) days I had in Tokyo itself was just about right and if you were really wanting to just take it easy and soak in the city I could quite happily spend 2 weeks just in Tokyo visiting the bars, arcades, shisha bars, tiny little restaurants, etc.

Should really post the above in the my travels thread. Will do so as well but will just leave in here anyway :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm 
Fool of a Took

The only other staff here are the owner and his son, but they're only here during the day. The other day though a Spanish guy and a wifie from Scotland turned up, went with them in their van along to another beach, called Supertubba. It's a beach where they hold competition surfing, the waves were absolutely pounding. Spent most of the time getting my ass kicked by the ocean, but managed to stand up and actually surf a few times. Then came back here, knackered and freezing, warmed up in the van, had another smoke, and went surfing in front of the hostel. Waves were perfect for me there, caught one really nice last wave as the sun was going down, rode it all the way in to the beach, then walked back to the hostel with a massive smile on my face.

When I got back Christina (other guest here) and her boyfriend Caffa were just leaving, said they were looking for me, to go to carnival. I was like "fucking right!", shower, food, kilt, and away we went. Fuck knows where we drove to, but I have blurry memories of dancing at the front of the procession, with drummers and all crazy costumes behind me. Was completely knackered by the time I got back to the hostel at 7am, but was a quality day.

Also forgot to mention there's a Kiwi guy and a guy from Bali staying here just now, they're pretty sound, but Spanish guy and Scottish woman have left.

In answer to your other question, I only get breakfast provided, have to buy all other meals.

And there's definately a fine balance to be had between not leaving things to the last minute (like when I left Barcelona with no plans, and ended up sleeping in a bush in some random city), and not planning too far ahead, so that you're not stuck somewhere shit, or forced to leave somewhere awesome. I think about two weeks to a month ahead.

And that concludes my first Ewan sized post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:38 am 
Nazgul

Sounds awesome man! Sounds like your getting right into your surfing! shame the place is so quiet at the moment but it'll prob pick up a bit months to come, or are u planning on heading somewhere else?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm 
Fool of a Took

I wrote to a bunch of farms/ranches in the south of Spain the other day (more helpxing), where I'd be building fences, mucking out etc. - but also get to go horse riding. I haven't done that in years, but I really want to do it again. So the plan is to stay here for another couple of weeks, then head off to Spain, staying in hostels for a few days inbetween (so I can get to see the cities aswell).

The Kiwi/Bali guys have left, but a guy from Holland and two Italian guys have turned up (some guests is a shit load better than no guests). Also the Dutch guy told me I can stay in his flat in Rotterdam, if I make it up there. Sweet.

And I got run over by another surfer yesterday, which was interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 pm 
Nazgul

Nice one, I'm hoping to get some horse riding done this year too, Jayne works at animal sanctuary and does riding and that so thats on the cards. Will you get your meals and that in spain?
You get battered by a surf board? I imagine that could be quite sore!!
Check out this retardatron;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Optical-Telesco ... 674&sr=8-6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 pm 
Nazgul

Rab!
How are things going on your travels?
Where are you at the moment?
Give us an update :)
Last I heard you had just arrivd in Berlin.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:55 pm 
Fool of a Took

Ok, so since Portugal, I've worked at two horse farms in Andalucia, travelled from there up the east coast, met up with friends from England, went to an awesome free festival with them on the other side of Spain (Womad), hitch hiked through France, stayed with some more friends and a random guy I met on the streets of Paris. From there I went to the Black Forest, to do some carpentry, then another horse place in Bavaria, then a Guest house in the north of Germany, where I looked after wild boar and did some Scottish country dancing.

Now I'm at another farm near there, making doors at the moment, went out for a canoe trip the other day, still going back to the previous place every Tuesday for Scottish country dancing. I'm speaking French and English and the occasional bit of German just now, all very confusing. Next I go back to the Guest House (Proitzer Muhle), and then Christ knows after that. Obviously I missed out a lot, but that about sums it up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 pm 
Fool of a Took

Haven't written on this for a ridiculously long time, but trip's finally over, and I'm back in Scotland now. Time to start planning the next one. I'm thinking the start of next year, somewhere warmer...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:33 pm 
Fresh 'n' Fuzzy

Rab wrote:
Haven't written on this for a ridiculously long time, but trip's finally over, and I'm back in Scotland now. Time to start planning the next one. I'm thinking the start of next year, somewhere warmer...

Good luck to you )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next